Monday, July 2, 2012

Viceroy Joy

Wow..so much happened yesterday I am sure I will forget to mention a bunch so here it goes from my poor memory. The day started with a morning run up the coast from Maho Village. I am putting all the weight I lost back on so trying to stay fit during this trip. It doesnt help that after the run I decide we need to find a brunch place. Brunch is not popular in St. MAarten/ Actually we drove to the Phillipsburg, the capitol and everything was closed. All we really found was some guy offering "good weed or any other stuff we needed". This was the least conspicuous attempted drug sale I have ever been a a part of. Also my first. We did find a french bakery that served breakfast all day and enjoyed some quiche and crepes. After that we took a taxi to the Ferry in Marigot. Here we would embark on our overnight trip to Anguilla, BWI. It was a short 20 minute ride with bueauiful views. Upon arrival through customs and immigration, we took a cap to the Viceroy hotel. Our cab driver served as tour guide and told us stories about the island but mostly he warned us of the evils of the sun. Repeatedly. Teling about every passenger he drove and picked up for return who were as red as "chickens." We are not sure why he chose chickens but people were that red. The Viceroy is probably the most beatiful resort I have ever seen. Well kept with impeccable service. All the small touches were great: the cold towel, the sparkling lemonade while you check in, the plate of goodies when you get to your room , your personal plunge pool on your balcony overlooking the ocean, the registration agent who says she is going to send you a bottle of wine for your honeymoon and doesn't. Actually it wasn't a big deal and to tell you the truth, everyone here was celebrating something. The couple we met in the infinity pool was there for their 5th anniversary, the couple we met by our lounge chairs from NYC, for thier first, and the couple we met at drinks were celebrating their 25th (the were also fellow Gays!). The worst thing about this place were the people we didnt meet but we HEARD. I guess at resorts like this it is important to have two qualities: BE LOUD and BE PRETENTIOUS. Picture a gorgious infinity pool with perfect wait staff serving you champagne and having to hear about someones 35 million dollar deal falling through. So you move to the other end of the pool and you hear about how many expensive golf clubs this guy has. So you head to the bar and hear about how this woman sells some pharmaceutical drug that is rare and doctors fight to see her. No one uses gentle conversation voices but rather large, I am better than you voices. Dinner was at 8 and we were heading to Copa, the italian restaurant here. I know Italian in the Caribbean. But it was great. They gave usa table right by the ocean and it was real peaceful. We are pretty sure Amare Stoudemire from the NY Knicks was dining next to us. I would have never noticied him but some rude fan came up and interrupted his dinner to take a picture. No one asked for our picture. I am sure I am forgetting some things: Like the bocce courts (where I beat Mike) and the beaches (where we are headed today)...but I will try to take better notes. Lots of Pics on Facebook. Happy July!

No comments:

Post a Comment